Friday, March 8, 2013

Two Wheels Are Usually Enough

Not everyone can manage without a car. When I worked 50 plus miles from where I lived a car was necessary. Now, as I have documented, I live in a small city with adequate mass transit, few hills and a mild climate. It is a bike friendly place in that there are bike lanes and paths and people in trucks and cars don’t aim at you (generally). The city’s pros far outweigh any of the cons. Hundred degree summer days and hurricanes are an inconvenience.

Months ago my PC quit working. I was immersed in anticipating my long ride and couldn’t spare the money to replace its motherboard. Upon returning, well, if you have read my entries here since August you know what has been going on. Today (ta da!) I picked it up at my Friendly Neighborhood Computer Shop (FNCS). Just as a bike rider needs a FNBS (Friendly Neighborhood Bike Shop), computer users will eventually need their own FNCS.

In my past employed life I discovered 43rd Street Computer Repair and they proved to be competent and reasonably priced, a nice combination. Now as an unemployed old guy it is even nicer! And just as the people at Bikes and More (my FNBS) didn’t mock and scorn me when I stripped the tread on the left crank of the Schwinn putting on a pedal, 43rd Street won’t laugh when you have crashed your PC while trying to install memory sticks. I like that.

Transporting the PC was possible because of the designers of the utilitarian Burley Travoy. Using foam packing from the PC’s delivery carton and a bunch of air filled packing bags inside the Travoy’s tote bag then strapping it all in place with bungee cords I made the seven mile jaunt home with no undue jolting.

The Travoy is a damn good piece of equipment. I can be moderately critical of the two straps that accompany the tote bag, as they are often useless because of their tendency to slip on the smooth surface of the tote bag when loads shift. For groceries they are adequate, but for other bulkier items the ubiquitous stretchy elastic bungee is the only option.

 
The Travoy’s hitch is also a remarkable design. It’s flexibility means you don’t have to be quite so concerned about the loaded trailer tipping and pulling you down with it. Additionally, the one hand operation to slide the trailer tongue onto the hitch is cool.

 



When I arrived home and considered my circumstances I wondered about the juxtaposition of my bike, which I view as a potential means of escape if the electrical infrastructure fails, and a PC that I love because it allows me to re-immerse in technology. Apocalypse meets technocalypse?

No comments:

Post a Comment