Saturday, January 2, 2016

Gloves Matter



Call it Old School or throw-back, but I prefer crochet back cycling gloves with real leather palms. They are what I wore in the 80s and when I try more modern gloves I return to them. I usually have three to four pairs that I rotate conscientiously and seldom wear the same glove on successive days. High quality gloves last about a year before the typical signs of break-down become excessive; fraying, seams parting and crocheting unraveling.

I have mostly purchase Nashbar gloves because they are the least expensive (less than $12 and frequently on sale) and they have always held-up well. Planet Bike’s similar offering are generally twice as much or more; upward of $20 in some bike shops and $15 or more online. I have enough experience with both brands to recommend either. When I had an issue with a pair of Planet Bike’s, I returned them, with an explanation, and received a replacement: a reflection of their good customer service. I have never had a similar failure with Nashbar’s.

Nashbar, back
Nashbar, back
Nashbar Crochet Gloves

Planet Bike, back
Planet Bike, palm
Planet Bike, Taurus, Crochet Leather Cycling Gloves

The third brand I wear regularly comes from Aero-Tech Designs. Unlike the other brands I have a very small sample. I bought a pair three years ago and until a few days ago that was my only pair. They had become ratty (at best) so, along with some other things I purchased a replacement pair through Amazon (less than $20). I was critical of the first pair of gloves because I thought the thumb hole was too large. In retrospect that was a pretty minor complaint because, now, years later, I prefer the fit of them over other brands. That I can still wear the original pair is pretty positive, too. Below are my new and the old Aero Techs.

Aero Tech, back
Aero Tech, palm
ATD Cycling Gloves Natural Cotton Crochet Leather biking glove

back, used!
back, used!
Used

One thing you will see from the image is that I am not very concerned about the appearance of the gloves. Yes, I hand wash them occasionally and I hang them to dry, but I like the battered, road-weary look of them and don’t need a new pair if they get some bike crud on them. The old Aero Techs are beyond crud and will be retired.

One caution about these gloves  . . . you will have a waffle pattern of tanning on your hands if you ride a lot and it occasionally attracts enough attention for people to comment.

I always purchase size 9 and have never had a fit problem because they all stretch and shape themselves to my hands in a matter of a few rides.





No comments:

Post a Comment