Tuesday, May 29, 2012

A Pleasant Surprise

My FNBS (Friendly Neighborhood Bike Shop) is my friendly neighborhood bike shop for two reason. One, they do quality work (and sell quality products) and, two, their customer service is impeccable. I suppose a third reason would be that they put up with my endless questions. Not only do they put up with the questions, they answer them. Bikes and More, the aforementioned FNBS, is my standard for measuring retailers and service in the world of bicycles.This brief preface brings me to the reason why I am not writing about my recent longer-than-usual rides.

I like crotchet back gloves and try to have at least two alternating pair in service. My favorite for fit are Taurus sold by Planet Bike. Unfortunately, the two pair I have purchased have come apart long before the less expensive variety from Nashbar. Planet Bike's advocacy program appeal to me and when I can, I buy their stuff. That their Taurus gloves surrendered long before I felt they should have bothered me. I'd been alternating a pair of each brand for several months when I noticed the Taurus were coming apart where crotchet met leather, just as had happened with my previous pair. Frustration motivated me enough to photograph the two pairs before sending the Taurus back to Planet Bike. I included a description and graphic indication showing the location of the bad seams.

In the note I also said I wasn't asking for a replacement (since I had just received two new pairs of Nashbars), nor did I expect a replacement, but wanted to express my dissatisfaction with their product in light of their espoused desire to design durable products. A week and a half later a package arrived with a pair of Taurus and a note saying they hoped a new pair would last longer.

The important thing about customer service is that it doesn't cost, it pays. Will I buy more Planet Bike products? Will I tell anyone about the gloves? Yes and yes. So, Planet Biker scores positively against the Bikes and More standard of service. Whether they meet the standard depends upon whether the new gloves fail too soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment