Monday, April 1, 2013

Is Describing The Same As Naming?

Was sick for most of a week and finally began feeling more like I should. Seems like it takes longer to recover from colds and flu than it used to, or maybe I was sicker. Because I felt closer to normal today I set off on a grocery and bottled water run, a round trip distance of three miles.

After replacing most of the drive chain of the High Sierra I feel like I have finally done right by a machine that’s been remarkably dependable, even after long periods of disuse and neglect. It wasn’t a big problem skipping the middle ring for short trips, but got to be tedious if I was out all day. With all three chain rings useable again it fits my around-town and commuter needs very well. With fair skies and a mild temperature it was a close-to-perfect ride.
Schwinn High Sierra and Burley Travoy Grocery Run
The Safari’s long wheelbase, extra large frame and rear rack make it a very close fit for the Travoy, but on the Schwinn the fit is perfect. Recently, the Schwinn was at the center of a brief discussion at Bikes and More where the question was asked whether it qualified as mountain bike or had become a hybrid?  Hybrid seems to define a bike intended to be a hybrid and can include trekking, cross, commuter, city and comfort designs, The distinctions and differences between and among these designs can be pretty indistinct and more a matter of taste, or so it seems to me. I could put a set of off road tires on the Schwinn and use it as a mountain bike taking it back to its early heritage where it would easily outperform me. Its utilitarian qualities and durability make it a good fit for this small urban community. My nomenclature, therefore, is inexpensive transportation device.

No comments:

Post a Comment